Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hands Free Cellphone Law

Recently a California state law went into effect that makes it illegal to use a cell phone unless using a hands free device. The overwhelming response has been that everyone has to buy a bluetooth headset. As someone who now works for a company in the general field of wireless communications I say go buy lots and lots of bluetooth headsets. You're not cool unless you have a bluetooth headset, but it is not cool to wear one so you should have multiple so you can keep them anywhere you might want them. (I actually honestly have no idea who provides the chips for those headsets, could be a competitor so maybe don't go on the shopping spree quite yet).

But I thought I could be cheap and clever and just put one of the old wired mic plus headphone in the car for the rare occasion when I talk in the car.

But just recently I realized that I speed almost all the time. I don't go too far over the speed limit, but typically I'm a bit over - in fact not being a bit over would typically disrupt traffic. So what's with the sudden freak out about breaking traffic laws? Especially since you could get multiple fines for being on the phone before equaling the cost of a decent bluetooth headset.

I haven't started following my own advice, but when it occurred to me I was surprised that no one else had brought this up yet.

No comments: