Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ghostwalk

Finished my signed copy of Ghostwalk (thanks for the book Mom and Dad) recently. It did start slow, but once it got going it was cool.

So the real history is that Newton in addition to being super science guy was also into alchemy and around the time he was going for a fellowship there were a few mysterious deaths that helped open up the position to him. Apparently he had not yet made a real impression by time he was going for the fellowship.

The author took the facts and came up with a story to explain it. Then to frame the story (I really want to use the term frame since it is one of two terms I remember from the literature class I took, although I don't think it is quite right since what I'm calling the framing is really the more significant portion of the story) she tells a story about present day Cambridge. The present day story revolves around a book with the Newton story the author is putting forward, and there are murders that are linked to the ones in the past.

I think this may be the first novel I've read that is set in the 2000s. Reading a story that involves people text messaging each other is a bit odd, not good or bad, just odd. The modern day story is told from the perspective of a woman who is dating a married man so I did have a little trouble relating to the main character. But the story was still interesting and the inner story about Newton was good. I also really liked that at the end she had a section specifying what is really known and what isn't so you aren't left half knowing a bunch of stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool - Sounds interesting - So glad you enjoyed the book.