Thursday, September 27, 2007

Burn-In

Last night I read Burn-In: An Engineering Approach to the Design and Analysis of Burn-In Procedures. This only sort of counts since it was for work, and I'm quite certain no one reading this cares about burn-in so I'll keep the post short.

If you are for some reason interested in burn-in (a procedure for sorting out weaker than normal components and components damaged by manufacturing) it is a nice quick read. The funny thing about the book is it has pages and pages of statistics and reasonably advanced math to come up with some very precise formulas. But they are all based on knowing the reliability of components which is going to be a total guess (by orders of magnitude). One formula is actually proportional to e^C where C is a factor that is generally unknown. Anyway, I found it silly, but I'll stop now since no one cares.

No comments: