Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Flatliners Game #3

Well this game the Flatliners earned their name. Once the score hit 19 to 0 in the first inning I stopped tracking it. Luckily the mercy rule does not kick in until the 5th inning or else I would not have gotten to play at all. After the first inning we actually did reasonably well. Not sure if we would have won if we didn't count the first inning but we would have done ok (of course the other team may have eased up a bit after the first inning - when the third baseman told one of our runners to go ahead and go for home it was a bit of a hint).

Personally, I did nothing special at bat - forced out at first both times. But I did get my first out. The batter hit the ball fairly high, straight up and I walked over and caught it. I feel like I should have charged to get under it and pushed the batter out of the way, but instead I sort of walked around him like I was worried about getting in his way.

I learned that you are supposed to hold a softball like a baseball (two fingers and the thumb) which was very useful. I also realized that my arm getting tired isn't the problem, but rather my attention dropping off. Along the same lines that I tend to remember stuff if I pay attention to begin with, I get a lot closer to my target if I take a moment to actually focus on throwing the ball.

1 comment:

Eric said...

The flatliners series is perhaps my favorite multipost I've ever read.

Throwing a softball IS impossible-- no matter what you do, it goes high-right, unavoidable. I think someone needs to look into how girls originally ended up with a game where the ball is harder to throw, catch and hit a significant distance.