Monday, September 26, 2005

Opera

Opera is a web browser that until recently many people have avoided because you had to pay them to get a version without extra ads on it. But they have decided to make it free with no ads. I am not sure I'd recomend it over firefox, but it is fairly slick and should be much more secure than IE. You will need to go through the menus a bit to get it to block pop ups and such but once you do it has a nice system for handling them.

If trying out new browsers is something you are interested in this could be a fun one to check out.
If you are using firefox and are happy then probably no reason to bother with opera.
If you have been having trouble with firefox (or g-d forbid, are using IE) then Opera could be worth trying out.

If you do try it out and want some advice on the menu settings just let me know or post a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I played with Opera for a while, 'cause I got tired of Firefox eating all my memory (after continously running it for a week or so). The interface is nice (though non-standard keyboard shortcuts are teh suck). And the memory footprint is much smaller.

I eventually went back to Firefox just because I couldn't stand the ads (not Opera ads, but the ones embedded in webpages). I've just about completely forgotten about their existence with AdBlock, and it was a rather annoying, flashy, processor-time eating throwback to reality.

So if you find a nice, easy-to-use ad-blocker for Opera, let me know :).