Saturday, May 30, 2009

Spice

I had the spiciest meal of my life today! This beat the Sichuan style meal I had in Beijing and the time I had a Thai restaurant not hold back. I went to smoke eaters with some coworkers today. The restaurant serves buffalo wings with 7 levels of spice. Most of us find their highest level quite spicy, but still easily edible. The restaurant also has the hell fire challenge where they make extra spicy wings and you have to eat 12 in 10 minutes with no drink or napkins. None of us wanted to do that, but we wanted to try the higher level of spice and figured we'd have a few of those and the rest of the meal would be level 7 wings. The hell fire challenge wings were covered in a thick brown sauce which was basically habanero paste. The others had less than one wing, I had two. After that the level 7 wings tasted mild.

What I learned: If you start to hiccup on your first bite of spicy food then stop. If you continue and a few tears run down your face then stop. If you still continue and for a moment your mouth seems to cool down, don't think that means you can handle more. Even if there's some guy at the next table actually doing the challenge and looking like it doesn't even phase him, still stop.

Wow, I ended up with a lot of time to play sudoku on my iphone (how's that for a euphamism?). Well I found my spice limit, and have no need to repeat that experience.

Luckily my stomach calmed just in time for Julie and Saeed to feed me dinner. Thank you Julie and Saeed!

1 comment:

The Owl Archimedes said...

haha! It actually took me a few seconds' pause to get that. Man, I'd love to try those hell fire wings.

Your hiking trip looks like it was a lot of fun. The one of your guys sleeping on the beach reminds me of when I did the same thing in Dubai- except the Lost Coast view looks a lot prettier to wake up to.