Monday, March 23, 2009

BSG

BSG alert - both that there are spoilers and that it will be boring for non-BSG fans.

I've been a bit slow to post about the final episode of BSG partially because I was actually social this weekend, and partially because my thoughts about it haven't quite settled yet. It's kind of funny I was glad to hear it was 2 hours since I think the first hour was awesome and wasn't such a fan of the second hour, although I'm glad it didn't just abruptly end after the the first hour.

One of, if the not the, best moments was when Baltar and 6 see angel Baltar and 6. Especially since just before that Julie had said she was hoping for almost exactly that scene. I think the biggest downer is Starbuck just disappearing - they could have given us a little more than that. Either I thought of this before and forgot, or it only now occurred to me that Starbuck is Jesus, hm.

Doesn't it seem like the whole story line with Loeben just got dropped? I know he realized something when he saw Starbuck's dead body, but it's like he just disappeared after that. Seems like he could have done something.

And what's with calling Starbuck the harbinger of death all those times?

While I've liked how they incorporated All Along the Watchtower, it's a little weird it turned out to be the coordinates of "new Earth". it's fits with Starbuck's story (well given the lack of explanation, anything could fit with her story), but what did it have to do with the final five? Oh, I just read Moore's answer - eh, I guess it can be something that lives on through human/cylon consciousness, but still doesn't quite seem to fit.

I think the last half of season 4 in someway actually returned to the original BSG. Near the end of the original BSG they find a planet that seems an awful lot like earth and the two super powers on the planet are about to launch nukes at each other and somehow the BSG crew helps stop them. But something about it turns out not to be Earth. Also the original BSG had angels that were obviously angels that helped out a couple times, at one point they even fought the devil. And the last scene of the last episode was them picking up an image of a rover on the moon, but no one on the ship sees it. So not a strong relation, but seems like something.

What the heck was with the whole God's not what he likes to be called? The silly part of me says it's Jimmy Hendrix which was playing when that was said (kind of funny they picked to play Hendrix's version instead of Bob Dylan's version). The cynical part of me thinks they meant Ronald Moore since they had just shown him, although I don't believe that either. I guess they are really just trying to claim some eternal force without specifying it as God. Between the God stuff and the be worried about technology stuff it felt a bit preachy near the end.

Well, I'll probably watch the series again at some point, although more to see season 1 and the start of season 3 than because I think I'll view things terribly differently now that I've seen the end.

Did anyone else see some racism (or at least some racial awkwardness) when they landed on the planet? The group of whites plus a few asians land on the planet with technology and civilization and look out at the tribal black people. Seems like they could have at least made the groups of people landing a little more diverse to water down the image. And while it's nice and all that modern people descended from Hera, it says something a little weird about what happened to the tribes that were already there.

Oh and take that Baltar - go back to farming - ha! That was a good punishment, although he does get to live with Caprica 6 which I guess balances things out.

Hm, they never really covered what happens when a cylon (other than the final 5) gets old. Will they live until some accident finally kills them?

And as usual - Helo is awesome and always right. Oh, if only there was a scene of him confronting Roslin and calling her out on all the crap she's done to him.

No comments: