Friday, January 30, 2009

TV, TV, TV, Rent, Eating, President, Violent Music

Seems like Scrubs has come part way back. I'm very glad to see them do some scenes outside the hospital. I claim that's the key to making the show good again. Other than maybe at the very beginning I think all the funny and key moments of the show have either been outside the hospital or set up by something outside the hospital. Although I do feel like this entire season of scrubs is that episode of arrested development where they make a last ditch effort to save the family/show. And what is with coffeebucks? They had the cafeteria which they were able to use as a large space or zoom in to a table to make it small space. But now they just have the small area that makes me feel claustrophobic.

I think Pysch as a show on its own is ok, but not quite good enough to watch. But the fact it is a constant mockery of psychics just puts it over the worth watching bar for me. Plus it is set in Santa Barbara so I get to keep going - oh, I used to live near there. Whoa - they just had a victim with an ICD that they used to identify him. The reasons to watch keep adding up.

I keep wondering when they are going to finally post tonight's episode of BSG online, but I guess I should at least wait till the episode has finished playing on TV before getting impatient. I'm increasingly thinking that the music (especially the drums during action scenes, but also other selections) does a lot to make the show. Which I guess was really brought out by the whole All Along the Watchtower thing.

I just found out if I renew my lease for a year my rent is going up less than 1%! Hopefully raises this year won't match apartment prices.

I finally got to the grocery store so no more having a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast any more (don't worry it is not from that company with the recall).

George Bush isn't acting as president any more (I still maintain he never won to begin with)! That finally started to sink in today. Someone should keep an eye on Dick Cheney - I feel like he could be even more dangerous now that the world isn't watching him than he was before (maybe I've watched The Usual Suspects too many times). I like the theory that Cheney was in a wheel chair so he wouldn't have to stand when Obama was sworn in (ok, I don't believe it, but I like it). I know I'm not really qualified to answer this, but I feel rather confident in saying that having a black president does not mean racism is over or that we can all forget about slavery - now all those talk show hosts can stop asking.

Music needs to get more violent. I feel like when I was growing up rap and alternative rock gave old people something to worry about (ok, mostly just rap, but I like to think I was listening to something edgy). The worrying old people sounded out of it, and didn't get it, but at least you could sort of see how they would worry that violent music might cause violence. But now it seems like social networking has taken its place. It is one thing to go on the radio and talk about the evils of violent music, it is quite another to talk about how facebook/twitter/yelp are ruining society (or to quote Emerson and Walden to prove facebook is ruining universities - seriously, that was on NPR this morning). I think every conversation about it can be boiled down to - "I'm old and this is new so it must be bad. I've only used it for a little bit and have not yet figured out how to use it intelligently so everyone must be wasting their life on it." In order to save these people some dignity, music needs to get more violent so they have something semi-reasonable to worry about again. I'm not saying music isn't violent now, it is just that we have gotten used to it (almost makes you think we'll get used to facebook/twitter/yelp in a couple years and wonder what everyone was worrying about...), but it needs to quickly get a lot more violent so people take notice again.

1 comment:

The Owl Archimedes said...

ha, love the usual suspects conjecture!

i googled "emerson, walden, facebook, npr", and your blogpost came up first