Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I feel safe there

I only semi-thought through this post so if you think I'm way off - speak up, because I might be (even more than usual).

I think that people often describe if they feel safe or not somewhere, and I think that people make real decisions based on these statements (I completely include myself in this). I imagine that a person's feeling of safety has some value - having watched most of The Wire in the past few weeks I can clearly distinguish that Mountain View is safer than the projects in Baltimore (not stepping on crack vials is always a good start). But I know my personal "safe feeling" meter has far too strong of a weighting on other people being around which has lead to some silly situations where I started watching over my shoulder while walking through a residential section of Brookline just because there was no one else around. I wonder what really goes into if a person feels safe. Hopefully people feel unsafe long before seeing any obvious signs of violence. I have to imagine that it is largely based on wealth and unfortunately I bet at least a portion is based on race. Whatever the indicators are, they are almost certainly regional or specific to a given country. Graffiti is probably a strong sign to many people from the suburbs. Not sure how it would strike people from major cities in the US, but I know that in some countries where violent crime is minimal compared to the US, graffiti is almost universal. Based on no evidence I would guess that the safety sense probably has some value in areas someone is familiar with, but becomes increasingly less valuable as the person travels further away, especially as that travel becomes international. Which is unfortunate since that's basically the inverse of a person's need for a safety sense.

Even if people have a great internal violent crime detector, that does not help with many other safety factors. In the US far more people die from car crashes than from murder. I guess people do sometimes discuss the roads and types of drivers in different areas, but again it is often what they sense and I feel like it has a less significant impact on travel and moving decisions.

In many foreign countries violent crime is so much lower than in the US that the other factors have to almost entirely be all that matter. In some countries terrorism is the bigger concern (often even if statistics show otherwise). Again, I'm pulling all this out of my ass, but I can't imagine the average person has any in-built sense for if one area is more likely to be hit than other. Clearly you can read the news and be told which areas are good and bad, but just walking around who is going to sense that they are in a spot that is likely to be struck. In fact, I believe that many terror strikes are at targets that would otherwise seem safe which is to some degree the point of the attack.

Not only do car crashes kill more people than violent crime, but heart issues kill even more. So when you are considering moving or traveling maybe the question to ask people isn't how safe they feel there, but instead how are the roads/drivers, how healthy is the food, and how prevalent is smoking. Actually - for anyone with indicators of heart issues the first question should be - what is the average ambulance response time (Update - see happyredpigs' comment for better information).

I do think that the safety sense has some value, and I will almost certainly describe how safe places feel to me at some point not long from now, but I imagine if you really want to know, you're better off looking up statistics than asking how safe someone feels. I guess the big advantage of getting someone else's feeling is it indicates how you will feel while you are there and stress/happiness could also be more important than the exact crime rate. The other nice thing is that you can always just tell your worried parents that you feel safe without needing to bother with any research or facing the fact that you are living/visiting somewhere really dangerous.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Hmm... this is an interesting post and I'm curious what provoked it.

I think the ultimate conclusion is that people are totally irrational when it comes to safety awareness. Being in a hospital setting all the time, I see people freak out over things that have much lower odds of occurring than getting hit by a car. But the fear in those situations is way out of proportion (Related to this is the issue of liability and defensive medicine, but don't get me started). And no amount of reasoning can change it. I think the alone-ness has a huge impact: when you're confronted with mortality (being alone in a strange city = thinking, being in the hospital), you're more afraid than when you're not paying attention to it (walking down the street).

As for the ambulance time... It's important not to take this out of context. If the ambulance is a little slower in a huge urban setting but has evidence-based standards for chest pain, and takes you to an academic ER with a top-notch heart protocol, you're much much better off than the speediest ride to a community clinic ill-equipped to deal with you. I'm pretty sure it's been shown that best place to live if you have heart problems is within ambulance transport to a major academic medical center.

I've been wondering-- how is that a/c unit?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmm - Your worried parents read this. . .

The Owl Archimedes said...

"stress/happiness may be more important than exact crime rate"- that's exactly it, you hit it on the nose! Statistics has its limits in predictive power, especially when it comes to terrorist bombings. Stats say for example that Erbil is safer than Philly, probably, but it doesn't really make sense to compare the two because of their different sources of crime.

When I asked about the bombing in May in Erbil and the Turks bombing of the PKK, I was told "oh don't worry, that was months ago". Was that supposed to reassure me? If it was months ago, isn't Erbil due for another one then? Is what I was thinking.