Thursday, May 15, 2008

101 F

It was 101 degrees in Silicon Valley today! WTF. What did I do? How much better can the new job really be? Why did I have A/C when I was in a beach town and no A/C when I moved to the Valley? (Well in answer to that one the high was 101, but the low was 60 - isn't that a crazy spread? And of course the real answer is it is really expensive to live here - which just adds even more to my questioning of my judgement) I've seen entourage - I've heard the horrors of the Valley from Johnny Drama (yeah different valley, but same idea). How am I ever going to trust myself to make a decision again knowing that I moved from an air conditioned apartment in one of the most even climates on earth to a place where it can be 101 on May 15 with one ceiling fan in the kitchen? Don't be surprised if you get calls from me double checking simple choices - like should I use a spoon to eat my cereal? Oh, no, I put the cereal I'm going to eat in a bowl without checking with anyone! I think a bowl would be better than spilling it on my bed, but now I just don't know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They have these new fangled contraptions ... in exchange for green pieces of paper they give you this box that you can stick in your window. And then that box will blow cold air at you. Crazy!

(Although I think it's not actually supposed to get crazy hot in SV; although it is hotter than SF. I hope you have AC at work!)

Jess said...

I understand completely. I have one tiny window AC in my apartment and it was 103 a couple of days 2 summers ago, and HUMID, SO GROSS, so I took cold showers and laid nearly naked on the kitchen tile.

You should consider getting one of those non-AC AC units... the ones that use the endothermic reaction of water evaporation to cool the environment in a more "green" way. They only cool by ~10 degrees or something but that takes it from unbearable to uncomfortable... Just google "portable air conditioner" or something.