Sunday, October 14, 2007

HP 4

In my slow attempt to catch up with everyone else I read HP 4.

I wonder to what degree kids catch the whole don't trust the government, don't believe the news message. I know people were protesting the HP books, but I think that was some insane thing about witch craft, but I do not feel like anyone ever objects to it being a kids book that has idiots and evil people as government officials and liars writing the newspapers. Don't get me wrong - I think it is great and I do hope it has a lasting impact on kids - but I would have expected some people to not be so thrilled about it. I almost wonder if no one sane wants to say anything about the books because they are afraid of being associated with the crazies.

I'm going to wait to finish the series with 5 (in my round about way of reading them) before I comment too much on the elf stuff. Although at the end of 4 the message is very questionable. Claiming that it is ok that a group of people works as slaves is ok because they like it that way seems like an odd message. It seems closer to a feudal or caste system than slavery, which would fit better with English history, but still not a good thing to have all but one character approve of. I guess if Harry disapproved it would be one thing, but he seems to treat those "under" him well, but does not object to the system as a whole, only Hermione does that. Well so much for not saying much. I guess that when I get to 5 I might have to take back some of what I said here, although based on 6 and 7 I don't think so.

I may have brought this up before, but is it just me or are the Goblins every negative Jewish stereotype put together? Ok, maybe not every negative stereotype, but I challenge anyone to name a characteristic of Goblins that is not a Jewish stereotype. They're short, have big noses, are clever, greedy, and tricky and control all the money through banking...

Whenever Percy was talking about caldron thickness I totally understood what he was talking about and was rather disturb by it (no - I don't know about caldron thickness, but I do spend a bunch of time at work making sure components are designed properly and used within specifications and regulations for long term reliability).

Hm, after all that I guess I should clarify that I actually really liked the book.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I think you're reading into more than most people... it's a children's book after all ;-) And it's always possible to look at everything and think it's spoofing what actually exists (or might exist or used to exist). Relax and enjoy! Don't think so much.