Monday, October 15, 2007

Flatliners Game #6 - Last Chance for Glory

Well tonight was probably my last game as a flatliner (well the last game of the season is the day after I fly back from China so if it turns out that I learn the anti-jet lag spell then I'll get another game - of course if I could cast spells like Harry Potter I might have used some to help win the games...). Of course there's always the possibility that we'll make it to the playoffs, well fine I'd put my money on the anti-jet lag spell.

Tonight ended 27 to 11 and we celebrated making it through all 7 innings without hitting the mercy rule. Actually it wasn't so bad - we only had 9 players so we only had 3 outfielders instead of 4.

Since this was my last game (if you ignore all the insanity in the first paragraph) it was also my last chance at glory. As catcher I didn't really have any chances at glory. I did have one goof, although it wasn't too bad. A batter hit the ball so it landed between me and the pitcher, but closer to me. Both of us ran for it. As we got close the pitcher told me to go to home, but by the time I processed that I had reached for the ball - we both grabbed the ball and each other's hand which if you think about the timing is pretty crazy. I let go and he motioned to throw to first, but it was too late. As I looked around I realized that there had been a runner on third who had made it home while I was racing the pitcher for the ball. Guess that guy on third was why I was supposed to stay on home plate... oh well.

One almost amazing play was the ball was hit between our center fielder and second baseman. They both ran for it. The ball bounced off the glove of the center fielder then it bounced off the second fielder's glove then bare hand. In the end it hit the ground.

Ok - back to me and my quest for glory. First at bat I determined to do something amazing. So I swung at a ball over the opposite side batter's box and fouled it. Then I decided to only swing if it was a really good pitch, well I realized I was a bit too discerning as it hit the strike zone. At least I knew when to walk away from the plate. Although on my way back I questioned if I had walked away too soon since I wasn't sure how the foul counted. Then I was glad I was out because that would have looked really stupid.

Next at bat I slowed it down a bit and had a beautiful hit - it was the only hit I really watched - I could tell it went far enough I didn't have to sprint all out to first. Well I basked in the glory of a slightly high line drive to left center all the way into the left center fielder's glove.

In the 6th inning I was up again and if I didn't hate the tortoise and the hare so much I might say something about slow and steady. I hit a dinky nothing somewhere between the pitcher and the catcher and raced to first - made it there and they over threw the ball so I raced to second. Then from two other people's hits I made it to third and then home. Not exactly glory, but at least contributing almost my fair share to the score.

In the last inning I swung at a low pitch and popped it up to center field. They caught it, but it gave the guy on third enough time to make it home.

Well, no real glory, but had some fun. And possibly the best part is I now have two bright red shirts that say Flatliners on them. I'll need to get a yard so that I have yard work so I have a time when I can wear them. Maybe I can wear them when I'm in Asia and claim to be a famous baseball player.

For those who have made it this far - in other news the A/C at work is broken and is supposed to get fixed at some point tomorrow so management said wear whatever you want, but I have to go in formal business clothes because I'm going to watch a device implant (or put another way - I get to go watch a device implant tomorrow!). Well after I recover from fainting I'm sure I'll write more about that.

No comments: