Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Topdesk - Expose take off for windows

I got this from Akshay's blog (and Susanna pointing it out) TopDesk.

On Mac OS X if you hit F9 it tiles all of the open windows and then you can just click on the one you want to bring to the front. If you hit F10 it tiles all of the windows for the current program. If you hit F11 it shows the desktop and hides all open windows until you hit F11 again. On Mac OS X it is not only what I think is the best way of moving between applications (unless you like to have a bunch of terminals or text editors open) but it also looks super slick. TopDesk does basically the same thing except it doesn't look quite as slick and I think it is just on the edge of being too slow to be worth it. Although maybe if you have a fairly recent machine it will be snappier. 8/19: Thanks to James (see comments) for pointing out that if it is running too slow turning off Live Window Updates makes a significant difference. I am very impressed by the support provided!

You can download a trial version which is free but every once in a while will pop up a little message basically just to annoy you into buying it which is $10.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

My name's James Stewart and I'm from Otaku Software, the developers of TopDesk.

You mentioned that TopDesk is very slow on your system - could you give me an idea of your system specs (CPU, memory, video card)? I'd like to find out if the slowness is due to the speed of your hardware, or if there's some other reason for it. If your hardware specs aren't the cause then we'd like to try and resolve the issue for you.

David said...

Hi James,

I am on a P3 930 MHz with 512 MB RAM. with a Nvidia Quadro2 Pro video card. I tried closing all but a few programs, but that did not help. My main issue is not the tiling speed, but as I move my mouse from window to window when they are tiled it takes a long time for the focus and title to move.

I'm interested in how you found my blog and so quickly. I did some google searching for TopDesk and did not see this post anywhere.

Thank you for your interest.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

You're specs are close to the minimum requiremnets, but TopDesk should still run "OK" on your machine. From your description, it sounds like the slowdown is caused by having the "live window updates" option enabled. If you want to improve the speed you can either turn the option off (this'll give you the most speed increase, but you'll lose the live updates), or turn the uncompressed window images option on (this'll give you a speed increase and keep the live updates, but'll use more memory). Let me know if changing these options makes any difference.

I used to manually search Google and the blog search engines for posts, which meant I sometimes missed a few, but now I use Talk Digger (www.talkdigger.com), a "meta" blog search engine. With this, I usually find new blog posts about TopDesk within a day of them being posted.

David said...

Hi James,

Thank you for your help!

Turning off Live Window Updates helped a lot (of course that does drop some of the functionality I enjoy with expose) and use uncompressed window images helped a little bit.

David