Thursday, September 30, 2010

Midas Touch

At a super bowl party last year I had a bottle of Midas Touch and was impressed. Since then I've had it a couple times and thought it was good, but had no idea that when the bottle says Handcrafted Ancient Ale it's serious:
Midas Touch Golden Elixir, currently marketed as Midas Touch, was first marketed in June 2001. The recipe for this beverage is based on the chemical analysis of residues found in clay vessels believed to date back to the 8th century BC. Originally discovered in Gordium, Turkey during a 1957 dig by archaeologist Rodney Young, the content of these vessels was left unknown for 40 years. In 1997, molecular archeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern received a phone call from a former student of his informing him of a residue on clay jars from the tomb of King Midas. Dr. McGovern quickly did chemical analysis finding all aspects of the drink except for the spicing agent but made an assumption of saffron due to regional availability.

Now I really want to try Chateau Jiahu.

Ok, end beer commercial. Why am I drinking Midas Touch on a Thursday night? Because I'm celebrating that the project I've been working on at work for the last year is finally coming together!

3 comments:

Kelmit said...

I love Midas Touch. It's the only beer I can make it more than halfway through ;)

Eric said...

Dogfish is the best.... there're Dogfish taverns here, where all they have is Dogfish beers on tap. We'll definitely have to go whenever you're in town.....

That's crazy about Midas - I didn't know the back story.

Kelmit said...

BTW, there are also Dogfish taverns here, if you're ever in the DC area. :)