Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I am America

I just finished I Am America (And So Can You!), Steven Colbert's book. I must say I was expecting more. There are quite a few funny lines, but I feel like in America the book it went from one funny thing to the next, but in I am America you're reading along and occasionally there will be something really funny. I thought maybe I was being a bit too critical, but then I got to the last chapter where he has the transcript of his speech at the correspondent's dinner and it was obviously much better than the rest of the book.

Well, I'm sure if you were going to read it you probably did already, but if you haven't yet you might want to browse through it a bit before buying.

Throughout the book Colbert is making fun of various policies, but all of the messages are pretty obvious. I guess part of the difference between the correspondent's speech and the rest of the book is the correspondent's speech had that extra element of oh wow he's actually standing in front of bush as he says that. My last comment on the book is that he has writing in the margins which is sometimes funny, but I think the reason the writing next to him when he does "the word" is so funny is it is clearly coming from someone else and often twist what he is saying. But the margin notes are just more from him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's rumored that Edwards is dropping out of the race. - My commentary since I didn't read the book.