Thursday, April 12, 2007

iTunes volume

Does anyone else find that the iTunes volume control does not have sufficient range when changing between listening environments? I've found that by going into view -> equalizer you can set the preamp volume which gives you another set of controls on the volume. When I'm in a loud environment or when connected to my stero and pick-up (aka noise) is the key problem I set the equalizer volume all the way up to get enough sound out. When I am listening with headphones in a quiet environment (typically at work) I set the preamp volume all the way down so that I don't have to play the game of how close to zero can I set the volume control without setting it to mute.

Anyway I posted the following on apple's support page and for some reason decided to share it here (Max if you feel the need to do some more mac hacking...)

Depending on how I am listening to music on iTunes (headphones, computer speakers, external speakers) I have to change the equalizer volume in order to either get the volume loud enough or turn down the equalizer volume to get enough resolution on the normal volume control. If the equalizer volume is all the way up and I am using headphone then I have to set the iTunes volume as close to the bottom as possible. But if I am using the computer speakers in a noisy environment I have to set the equalizer volume all the way to the top to be able to hear anything. Overall that means I am changing the equalizer volume, the normal iTunes volume, and the operating system's volume.

Instead of having the dual volume control (equalizer and normal) in iTunes, the main volume control should act like the dock. When I click on the volume control it should expand to the entire width of the screen. This would allow sufficient resolution on the volume while providing the entire range.

No comments: