Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Does Bill Gates Stand in Line at the DMV?

Does Bill Gates Stand in Line at the DMV? - That question helped keep me occupied as I stood in line at the Ventura DMV to get my driver's license switched over to CA. About four years ago I went from a Kansas driver's license to one from MA and while I had to pay over $60, I basically just handed them my out of state license and was handed my new one (after taking a picture of course). Not so try to become a resident of CA. The governator wants a bit more than that (ok I have no idea if he has to do with any of this, but it seems like pretty much anything the CA government does is attributed to him). If you want to get a CA license better bring your passport regardless of what any website or other source may say or the large gentleman at the desk will inform you to come back at another time. You should check the website because hours vary day to day and once a month they are closed on Monday. CA only charges $25 which is a nice change from MA, but you have to take a written driving test - better read the book the night before. Then once you have had all this fun you are handed a piece of paper and told that's your license until they mail one out to you sometime in the next 60 days...