Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Facebook Venn Diagram

Since I can't seem to sleep I was flipping through facebook. As I was looking at the page of a good friend I noticed that we have few friends in common both as an absolute number and as a percentage of his total friends. So I started looking through other friends and noticed the same pattern with almost everyone. Good friends, family, distant friends, people from high school whose names I forgot. In almost all cases mutual friends were very roughly around 1% to 20% of total friends.

There is another good friend in college where it came in at 1/3 which is more in line with what I would suspect.

I'm not complaining or worried about not knowing enough of my friend's friends or think any of this means anything. But especially the minimal correlation with how well I knew the person struck me as odd.

Anyway, enough of the meaningless observations, time for bed. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

3 comments:

Kelmit said...

I think the drivers in this problem are not what they seem at first-- it doesn't really matter how close you are to a person, but:

a) where/when they met most of their friends (e.g. after you met in college? before you met in college?)
b) which cohorts of their friends use Facebook (e.g. their foreign cousins are TOTALLY ADDIKTED, JA!)
c) how close they are to their FB friends (e.g. would they even bother introducing their best buddy to some of these folks?)
d) actually, on that point, also: how often they connect their friends with one another (e.g. I happen to introduce everyone I know in Boston to one another, and now all my HS buds are friends with my college and grad school buds are friends with the buds I met through my boyfriend after grad school)
e) I had another point but I can't remember it and now I need to go to class.

Analyst out.

Kelmit said...

Why isn't there any way to check 'e-mail follow-up comments' without posting a second comment? Blogger fail.

amany said...


ارخص شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة

شركة شفط بيارات بالاحساء شركة شفط بيارات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام