Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wedding Weekend

Last Tuesday night I headed off to Boston. Thanks to Jeremy and Emily for the ride to the airport. Wednesday was pretty low key, but I got to see Mike, Laura, Max and Alex for the first time in quite a while.

While I was in Boston I stayed at Alice's place (thanks Max and Alice). Short tangent: I was reading this daily beast article where they rank the smartest cities in America. Boston came in number 3 and one of the comments about the city is "When you go into somebody’s office or you go into their home, one of the things you case out is their bookshelf" and the room I stayed in contains a bookshelf I am declaring the winner.

Thursday I was still adjusting to the time zone and got up rather late. After some lunch at the miracle of science and an unfruitful search for a glass for Mike to step on we headed out for the bachelor party. First stop was india quality. I'm so glad that in college we picked a restaurant that's actually really good so we can now do the combo of nostalgia and good food (nud pob and burrito max were good and all, but even if one of those was the Sunday post clean up place I couldn't see either being the aepi alumni meet up spot). (Yes I just explained that I'm glad that we liked a place I like).

After IQ we headed to Fenway where we watched the Red Sox beat the Indians. Well really we watched the backs of the Sox beat the backs of the Indians, but at least we were close to the field. Then off to Jillian's for some pool playing.

Friday after I took a little nostalgia walk through MIT while reading the Tech, Jeremy, Emily and I made our way down to the cape (and found a good glass for stepping on). We hung out at Laura's place and did the rehearsal. Afterwards we headed to a nice restaurant and had the rehearsal dinner where I won the over-under bet on the number of toasts (total coincidence the toast I made gave me the win - yeah, coincidence that's the ticket). (I also won the over - under for the wedding night, not that I'm competitive or anything).

Up to this point both in Boston and on the cape the weather had been really nice. So the day of the wedding it starts raining. A school bus picked us all up and drove us around for the wedding pictures. There was a spot on the beach with a covered area so we took pictures there for a while. Then the rain stopped for a bit so we headed out to the beach for some pictures. When we got back a group of us were given the assignment to greet people arriving and the assignment to empty beer cans to string to the back of the bus. This turned out to be an interesting combination.

The wedding itself was very nice. The party afterwards was a great time. Some good Russian food and a handle of vodka on every table makes for a good time. I think that was the first time I took part in the chair raising for the horah. I was quite surprised both how easy it was at first and how hard it was by the end of the song.

The next morning after the group breakfast Max and Alice gave me a ride back to the city where I took a little walk through the Commons and headed to China Town for lunch before heading off to the airport. Thanks Julie and Saeed for the ride back from the airport.

Overall a very good time! Congratulations Mike and Laura!